Residential Carbon Monoxide Detectors. U.S. Dept. of Treasury/ National
Institute of Standards and Technology.
Abstract: The National Institute of Standards and Technology produced
this document to provide information about the new technology of carbon
monoxide detectors. The article provides a list of hazards that can cause
carbon monoxide poisoning in the home. The most common are: a defective
furnace or water heater, a cracked chimney or flue, and the indoor use of
charcoal grills. The article explains how CO detectors work, why they are
important, how many a home needs, and how to identify a reliable detector.
If a CO detector should activate, the reaction should be the same as a fire
alarm--get everyone out of the house and call the fire department.
For more information contact:
NIST Public Inquiries Unit - (301) 975-NIST
100 Bureau Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-0001